The Oranwood clan will be on the road to Pennsic this evening. Some of the places you can find me this War:
- We are camping at McGuire’s Marauders (block N06, next to Ansteorra Royal). Feel free to say hello.
- My concert will be War Wednesday from 8-9 pm (between House Sans Nomen and Heather Dale–still don’t know how that happened, still not questioning it), and planned guests include Efenwealt Wystle, Bird the Bard, Cedar the Barefoot, Sólveig Bjarnardóttir, and my son Spencer Oranwood. There will be new original songs. There will be lute. More importantly, there will be new and even more ambitious Hamilton filk.
- My dear friend Cedar the Barefoot is performing their first concert Middle Sunday from 6-6:30 pm. I’ll be watching, because I wouldn’t miss this and you shouldn’t either. Apparently, there will be new Lin-Manuel Miranda filk performed here as well, and any suggestions that I might have instigated said filk would be grounds for legal action. (Shenanigans? ME?!?)
- Efenwealt Wystle and I will be hosting the annual Bardic Expo on War Monday from 2:00-4:30 pm. Come perform, and come see others perform.
- I am teaching “My Persona’s Guitar Is a Lute” on Peace Thursday from 11-12 pm and War Wednesday from 1-2 pm. This is a new first time offering.
- I will be at McGuire’s infamous Chocolate Bardic on Peace Thursday, and I will try to get to other bardic circles whenever possible throughout the War. (There are rumors of a “secret bardic circle” during peace week, possibly at Highrafters, but the first rule of it is that you don’t talk about it, and the second rule…)
As for music:
- The Sing for the East CD (as well as the new Companion Songbook) will be available at Camelot Treasures (booth 30) and Designs by J (booth 162). You can also find my first album Hidden Gold there if you don’t already have it.
- Efenwealt Wystle’s new music sampler CD together for this Pennsic, featuring some really well-known performers. Somehow, I got a track of mine, and one from bright star Juliana la Badele, on this thing.
- You should be looking for any music you don’t yet have when you have the chance. There are a ton of hard-working artists creating amazing, high-quality recordings within this community, and they deserve your patronage.
Hope to see you at War!
The East Kingdom’s 50 Year celebration is this week, from Thursday to Sunday. I am looking forward to it, and want to mention a few things if you’re going to be be there:
- Friday, 3:30-4:00 pm, Performing Arts Stage: I will be performing some of my songs with my dear friends Bird the Bard and Donal Artur of the Silver Band. It promises to be a lot of fun–and the set includes a new song!
- Saturday, 2-3 pm, Performing Arts Stage: Join the the bards of Sing for the East for a live, sing-along concert!
- The Sing for the East CD will be on sale at Kate’s Kafe throughout the event, along with other popular SCA music (including mine).
Click here for the EK 50 site map. (The Stage is next to the A&S Classrooms, but you’ll probably need to zoom in to see it.)
Hope to see you there!
So, in other Pennsic news, I found out when my concert has been scheduled. Wednesday of War Week, 8-9 pm. (For those unfamiliar with the concert schedule, it means I’m the lead-in for Heather Dale’s time slot.)
This was a surprise to me. One of those good surprises. The kind that is followed by a lot of mental scrambling and complicated feelings. (A lot of them start with “Holy crap.”)
I’m making no assumptions about what will happen in future years. I plan to really enjoy this opportunity, and make sure the audience and my guest performers do too.
I’ll put an event out at some point. But since it’s right there on Thing at this point, I figured it was time I shared.
We’re back from Pennsic. Will have a post with my full reflections later. In the meantime, I wanted to share videos from this year’s concert for those who weren’t able to attend (or wanted to see some of the performances again).
After weeks of having to focus on Real Life, I’m doing some mad last-minute prep for this year’s concert (Monday of War Week, 8-9 pm, Performing Arts Tent), and I’m really excited.
The set this year is going to be really fresh. I mean really fresh. There will be stuff you’ve NEVER heard me perform before on this stage. And I’ve invited guests who are just getting known to the bardic scene…Cedar the Barefoot and Bird the Bard! (Don’t worry, Master Efenwealt is up for a song too.)
There will be three songs from Sing for the East. I am planning to actually play a lute piece.
And–oh yeah. The Hamilton filk. That too.
Hope to see you there!
This is the last video from this year’s Pennsic concert. The start of the song is missing, and there are some camera issues (especially at the start), but it’s an opportunity to hear Duchess Caoilfhionn and me performing “We Are the East” together (with Efenwealt on guitar), which was an incredible treat. I hope you enjoy.
Lorelei Skye was kind enough to share some videos she took of my Pennsic concert, which include two performances with people I’d been dying to work with onstage. The first of these is a rendition of “Tam Lin of the Elves” that the audience absolutely loved, featuring the fantastic Sir Kenneth MacQuarrie and Mistress Adelaide de Beaumont, aka Ken and Lisa Theriot. It plays very differently from last year’s performance with Heather Dale.
Unfortunately, the first verse didn’t get captured, but this is the only video we were able to get of the bulk of the song. Still, I hope you enjoy.